We Develop Concept Mapping Products For Nursing Educators
Deanne A. Blach, MSN, RN, CNE has created and implemented concept maps concept maps for 25 years with nursing students and provides faculty workshops so ensure everyone is ‘on the same page’ for consistency.
Using concept maps in nursing education is one example of an active strategy to promote critical reasoning and judgement in students. The students are able to examine a selected concept; take it apart, put it back together in their own way, and make new connections with the information.
Deanne’s innovative concept maps can be found in multiple nursing textbooks, including the last four editions of Iggy’s Medical-Surgical Nursing, Craven’s Fundamentals of Nursing and Urden et al. Critical Care Nursing. Deanne’s most recent work (2018) is a chapter titled “Using Concept Mapping for Conceptual Learning” in Iggy’s latest book, Teaching and Learning in a Concept-Based Nursing Curriculum.
Concept maps are used as a teaching strategy early in the nursing program and progress from simple to more complex as the student progresses through the program. Deanne takes the reader step by step in designing concept maps and implementing these into any classroom or clinical setting.
Deanne provides workshops on concept mapping and is available as staff training for nursing programs. Participants are taken through making a concept map step-by-step and “hands on” time to develop a concept map provides application to theory.
Deanne’s publications include:
- 2015 – Contributor of 22 concept maps for Craven, Hirnle & Jensen’s Fundamentals of Nursing (8th Edition). Wolters Kluwer Health.
- 2015 – Contributor of 12 concept maps for Ignatavicius and Workman’s Medial Surgical Nursing: Patient Centered Collaborative Care (8th Ed). Elsevier.
- 2015 – Advisor for Fast Facts on NCLEX ® Test Plan for Rosalinda Alfaro’s Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgment: A Practical Approach (6th ed.). Saunders Publishing.
- 2014 – Contributor of concept map for Gaberson, Oermann & Shellenbarger‘s Clinical Teaching Strategies in Nursing, (4th ed.). Springer Publishing.
- 2013 – Contributor for Rosalinda Alfaro-LeFevre’s Applying Nursing Process: A Tool for Critical Thinking (5th Ed). Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- 2012 – Contributor of concept maps for Ignatavicius and Workman’s Medial Surgical Nursing: Patient Centered Collaborative Care (7th ed). Elsevier.
- 2012 – Reviewer for Zerwekh and Claborn Illustrated Study Guide for the NCLEX-RN® Exam (8th ed). Elsevier Publishing.
- 2011 – Contributor for Rosalinda Alfaro-LeFevre’s Applying Nursing Process: A Tool for Critical Thinking (4th ed.).Wolters Kluwer.
- 2010 – Contributor for Zerwekh, Claborn and Miller’s Memory Notebook of Nursing, Volume 2 (4th ed).
- 2010 – Contributor of Concept Maps for Oermann & Gaberson’s Evaluation and Testing in Nursing Education. Springer Publishing.
- 2008 – Co-author for Caputi, L. & Blach, D. Teaching Nursing Using Concept Mapping. Glen Ellyn, IL: College of DuPage.
- 2007 – Advisor for Fast Facts on NCLEX ® Test Plan for Rosalinda Alfaro’s Critical Thinking and Clinical Judgment: A Practical Approach (4th ed.). Saunders Publishing.
- 2007 – Contributor Concept Map for Marilyn Oermann’s Clinical Teaching in Nursing Education (2nd ed.) Springer Publishing.
- 2006 – Contributor for Concept Maps for the CD Rom for DeLaune & Ladner’s Fundamentals of Nursing: Standards and Practice (3rd Ed), Thomson Delmar Learning.
- 2005 – Contributor for Chapter 35 – Cardiovascular Assessment and Chapter 38 – Peripheral Vascular Disease. Ignatavicius & Workman’s Medical-Surgical Nursing: Critical Thinking for Collaborative Care (5th ed). Elsevier Publishing.
- 2003 – Using Concept Maps to Foster Critical Thinking. In Caputi, L. & Engelmann, L. Teaching Nursing: The Art and Science. Glen Ellyn, IL: College of DuPage.
- 1984 – New Employee Pocket Orientation Booklet for Surgical Intensive Care Unit, John L. McClellan Veterans Administration Medical Center. Little Rock, AR.